Friday, September 05, 2008

Community Organizing

So apparently, the occupation of community organizing was the butt of many jokes at the Republican National Convention (aka Hypocrite Convention or White People's Party Convention) this week.


"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a “community organizer,” except that you have actual responsibilities."
-Sarah Palin, Vice Presidential Candidate for the Republican Party


I found this rather interesting and perplexing. I tried and tried but I just could not find the humor in the joke. Perhaps it's my liberalism that is distorting my sense of humor. Afterall, we did learn from the Republican Convention that liberalism is the source of every problem you can imagine. Nevertheless, it got me thinking. So, I did some research and I wanted to find out more about community organizing and the individuals who have been involved in this occupation. I found that they make very low wages and the work is heavily demanding often requiring long hours. Just imagine trying to organize a community to come together and build up their economic infrastructure. Not easy work. I also found that a lot of recognizable people organized their communities. Here is a brief list of some people who have community organized.

Jesus
Muhammad
Moses
Buddha
Founding Fathers of the United States
Martin Luther King jr.
Mother Theresa
Jane Addams
Saul Alinski
Betty Friedan
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Barack Obama
Martin Luther
Al Sharpton
Malcolm X
Paul Wellstone
Jesse Jackson
Mahatma Ghandi
Cezar Chavez
Nelson Mandela
Susan B. Anthony
Harriet Tubmannand
10's of thousands more that go unnoticed.

I guess according to the GOP, all of these people are clowns.

2 comments:

Mr. McClister said...

Way to kick Palin right in her conservative vagina!

KB said...

Nice Jon, nice.